Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Saturday 29 July 2017

Security System

For our security system we chose to have it mostly installed as part of the build. I looked at options to install after handover but everything offered was wireless. I didn't like the idea of replacing batteries on all of the sensors every year or so. Or not getting around to it and the alarm has a bypassed sensor zone while the battery is flat. Getting it installed with Porter Davis meant that all of the sensors would be wired, it would be operational from day 1 and I wouldn't have to worry about flat batteries. It seemed the better choice.

We selected a Tuxedo Alarm package consisting of:

Vista 48 Alarm panel (upgrade from vista 12?)
2x Tuxedo Touch Screen (1 purchased separately)
6 PIR sensors (3 were upgrades)
Additional Keypad (Upgrade)
Wireless Receiver Module (Upgrade for keyfobs)
2 Wireless Keyfobs (Upgrade)

I also had additional reed switches installed during construction to all of the lower level doors and windows. This will allow us to configure an Armed/Home setting for when we are home but want the alarm on. EG: Night time.

After reading further about the Tuxedo Touch (and buying one to test), I'm not sure if I would choose this alarm package again. Features like remote access to the alarm isn't as straight forward as I had hoped. It can be achieved but requires port forwarding through your router, static IP address or DDNS service. I am happy and comfortable configuring this but in the end I don't think it will work out how I was wanting.

Part of the decision to go with the Tuxedo was because it also has Z-Wave Controller built in for home automation. I have since purchased many Z-Wave modules for lights and other that I will have installed after handover. Although they seem to work OK with the Tuxedo, the lack of simple remote access and older interface means that the user experience isn't as slick as other Z-Wave Controllers and with their Apps. Part of the appeal towards home automation is that things get done for you. EG: inside lights turn on when the alarm get disarmed, Turn all outside lights on with one button press and so on. So far I have been able to achieve this with the Tuxedo so I'm not sure it will actually pose as a problems until we live with it for a while. Time will tell...

Here are our Argus Alarm Plans






No comments:

Post a Comment